...because you aren't living unless you have something to live for...

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fifteen.


I thought it would be easier. High school feels impossible. Everywhere I step, I have to look down in fear of what people will think of me. My glasses are outdated and my curly hair is unmanageable. Good thing I have a great group of friends who believe that I can actually make it through. They even believe that boys will like me. I'm not convinced about the second part.

My friends know most of the boys I like. I usually can't stop talking about them. But some of them I keep to myself, and as I walk to my next class, head down, I think about him. I haven't told anyone I like him because I'm not sure what they'll think. He's cute in his own way and he makes me smile. He's a figure skater and I've been itching for him to invite me to one of his shows. The good thing is - that might actually be possible since I actually talk to him.

He smiles at me from his seat and I smile back, the flutter slowly curling through my stomach. I slide into my chair and throw my backpack down beside me. My stolen moments with Terry are about to begin.

"Did you watch Survivor last night?" I ask as I pull out my binder.

"Of Course!" Terry replies, leaning towards me in his chair. "I can't believe they kicked off Colleen! She was so cute!"

I cringe, but keep the thought of Terry liking what someone else looks like in my head. "Ya, she was my favourite."

"I actually though she had a chance at winning. Maybe Kelly will win."

"Rudy's pretty tough."

"This is true." He smiles as the teacher comes in. He flashes a sly grin as he turns to the front of the class and I know it's something. It has to be something.

Class goes by too quickly and I don't get another chance to talk to him. But it's okay because he walks me out and we continue to chat. We talk about Survivor endlessly. It's our connection. We joke and laugh and I feel comfortable around him. I feel like I can tell him anything except for how I feel about him. My friends don't know I like him and I like it that way. It's my secret. He's all mine.

"Hey, I have practice on Saturday, want to come along? You haven't seen me skate yet."

Did I imagine that?

"Umm, ya, I'd love to."

"Awesome, my dad and I will come pick you up. He'll just drop us off, but it sure beats the bus. Give me your address."

This has to be a dream. I scribble my address on a scrap piece of paper and hand it to him. Our hands touch for a second and I swear I feel electricity zoom through them. Our eyes meet and we share a smile.

"See you then."

I'm frozen to the tiles as he walks away. He's small like me, thin and long. His dark skin compliments my porcelain and all I want to do is hold his hand and walk down the hall together. He invited me to watch him skate. That has to mean something right?


Saturday come and goes. The day was perfect. We laughed and smiled and I watched him skate. I was the only person he invited and when he introduced me to his partner, she smiled like she knew me - like he'd talked about me.



I convince my mom to get me contacts. It is the best day of my life. Suddenly I feel more confident, prettier. I can't wait to show up at school and actually get noticed. It makes a big difference in my walk and my smile and everything else about me. I know Terry will like it.

"Wow, Jen, you got rid of you glasses!" He exclaims as he meets me at my locker.

"Ya, it's about time."

"Looks good."

He passes by me like what he said didn't just make me melt. He actually notices me. I am part of his life and he thinks about me when he sees me. It's not like before with any of those other guys. I was just another person in the world to them. I know, I just know, that I'm more than that with Terry. This could be it. This could be my first real love. Maybe fifteen won't be so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment